Okay kids, next week will be my 5 year anniversary in Dallas. To say that I’m still flabbergasted is an underestimate. Before I moved to Texas, I lived 23 years in a small college town in Mississippi. I literally could get anywhere in that town in less than 15 minutes. My idea of “rush hour” is probably as congested as my five to fifteen-minute easy commute to work is today. The only time we really had a traffic jam was when the tractor was out or someone was Sunday driving.
Since then, I have essentially become a small town girl passively surviving in a big town world. I live close to the suburbs (hey, my job is close!) and wander down south (read: uptown and downtown) when I feel the need for some excitement. I’ve done a lot, but there is so much more I want to do. Let’s start with some amazing things I’ve done in Dallas before we head over to the bucket list.
- Visited the Perot museum
- Brunched at Bishop Arts District (Heyyyy Oddfellows!)
- Been to the Texas State Fair (1 or 3 times. Y’all the corny dogs was love!)
- Seen Beyoncé in concert (4 times to be exact)
- Attended a Dallas Stars game
- Attended a Dallas Mavericks game
- Attended a Rangers game (Even went to Opening day. Hooray)
- Marveled at the organ pipes in the Meyerson (Like, seriously. I have a pipe crush.)
- Visited the African American museum (And I randomly rant about how the AA cemetery lies below Uptown.)
- Went on a brewery tour (Thank you, Deep Ellum Brewery. I’ll be back soonish.)
- Attended Grapevine Wine Festival (If you haven’t been, you should. Can’t wait til this years’ event.)
- Experienced art-lust at the Dallas Museum of Arts.
- Been to the Arboretum.
- Attended Fashion Night Out (A few times. It’s pretty fun.)
- Painted the Texas flag at Art in the Vine (under the influence of wine for extra confidence.)
- Went to Naturally ISIS World Natural Hair festival (and saw Erykah Badu!)
The list goes on and on, weirdly enough but I still have stuff to do in Dallas. Isn’t that crazy? Because I have miles to go before I sleep, I am officially making a Dallas bucket list of the next 10 things I’m going to do to enjoy this wonderful city.
- Enjoy macaroons in a Dallas bakery.
- Visit Reunion Tower — for dinner, drinks, or whatever.
- Have a Dallas-area staycation. Live like a tourist for a weekend.
- Explore Fort Worth for a weekend. (I know this is not Dallas, but I have to see the stockyards and the botanical garden.)
- Visit the Dallas aquarium. (It’s a shame that I haven’t been yet. I really love aquariums.)
- Attend Addison Oktoberfest.
- Check out the Plano Hot Balloon festival.
- Spend a day in West End and visit the Sixth Floor Museum.
- St. Patrick’s Day Shenanigans, once and for all.
- Attend Taco Libre, finally. (Literally, I have something to do every year!)
These five years in Dallas have been fun, but I can’t wait to see what lies ahead. I’ll be keeping y’all updated with a post when I do things on my bucket list. Can’t wait!
What are some fun things you have on your city’s bucket list?